Extreme Performance Tire InformationFirst  < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 >  Last
Author Post

Xian
Suffers from Chronic Car ADD

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « Re: (AssPenny)« » Reply  Edit

Folks are using them as autocross, street, and track tires. Tons of DD'er stuff on them is going to cycle them out more quickly but occasional use isn't a big deal, IMO.

FWIW, saw in my FB feed this morning that the 205/50 Maxxis VR1 is back in stock. With the 71R out of stock, this may be a solid option. Still limited reviews on them but word is that they're "almost" as sticky but wear better/longer.

PS
Great review on the 71R's!

Christian
Rotating inventory of stuff...
FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002
 « Re: (Xian)« » Reply  Edit

Craig, Im not sure what the wear life is going to be on them yet, but they are fine on the street and super quiet. They are quieter and more comfortable on the street than my BFG Sport Comp 2 (but those are 16x7). Im toed out in the front though so I definitely wont put many street miles on them. I actually drove them home from the track because I was facing a 2+ hours drive and too lazy to wait for the lugs to cool down and swap my other wheels. Just wanted to get on the road.

Christian, any suggests on the pressures? Does what I experienced sound about right to you given it was chilly afternoon session? Its crazy that they just kept getting better as the sessions, psi, and temps kept going up. I was keeping pace with several BRZ which I was happy with considering it was my first time out in years and first time on track with this R. If it wasnt for my brakes frustrating me then I could have gotten better info. Not sure what the psi limit will be but I might start my next time out around 36-37 range unless its a warm day.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0
00-XXXX - The OG NOPI Fish Tank Type R - SOLD

My For Sale thread ITR and Misc Parts For Sale

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « Re: (RTW DC2R)« » Reply  Edit

Off the cuff, I'd probably try targeting lower hot pressures which means lower cold pressures. That being said, it's really rare that I ever have events in the 50's so I don't have much experience with them in cold temps. Additionally, I've been running these on my C5Z previously and STU STi now so pretty apples and oranges comparison. Still, if I had an R with 205/50's on 15x7's, I'd likely be aiming for 38ish hot front and then whatever it takes to make the back walk/dance... but that PSI will also depend on tire rollover which depends on camber and springs and bars.

One thing that I've seen/heard over and over is that the 71R/Rival-S are both pretty pressure agnostic... meaning that, outside of rollover/wear, you'll often get the same or at least similar performance out of them across a 3-4psi spread. The upside to this is that there's not a huge issue with running them a little over or under the sweet spot.

<--- runs around 30psi for the fronts on the autocross STi.

Christian

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Is it better to have the tire rollover some? I'll have to take a look at the tread and see how far the tire was rolling but I dont think it was very much. If a little rollover is good or OK then I can certainly try some lower pressures but maybe keep the suspension full hard this time around. That would be the opposite of what I had the first time out so I can give it a shot.

For me right now, just stock bars with a rear upper strut bar. Camber around -2.5f and -1.5r. Total toe out 1/8th in the front, 0 rear.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

Yup, some rollover just means that the tire is working the contact patch and your pressures aren't "too high". Here's what mine look like and roughly what I'm aiming for:

You can see in the pics above where the tire transitions from the grippy tread compound to the sidewall compound. I try to run right at/barely over that transition.

Christian

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002
 « « » Reply  Edit

Thanks for the info as always. Yeah I definitely have room to come down then. I dont think mine were anywhere near that transition to sidewall. I do like a firmer feel but if I can get more from the tire with a lower pressure I will play around with it.
98-0034 - Track Daze y0

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

Anytime.

Yeah, try a little less pressure to start with but run the shocks a little higher where you like them. Worst case scenario, you bump pressures back up.

Christian

zygspeed
Got Boost ?

385 posts [100%]
NE OH
9-25-2002

Will wear out my take-off hoard of Hankook Z214's, but after that these will be going on the new group buy Volks:

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « « » Reply  Edit

Not super useful to anyone at the moment (no ITR sizes currently) but he new Nexen is supposed to be the sister-tire to the next gen RS3. Early reports is that it's about 0.75 seconds slower than the 71R on a 69 second course. Supposed to have really good wear though so it may end up being a great track day tire. It's cheap as hell too...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...Sizes

Christian

BLacK FirE

792 posts [100%]
7-2-2008

I'm probably going to be buying my tires in two weeks or so. I'm going 225 as I'd like like the extra traction with the power I'm putting down. So pretty much my options are limited. Rival or venus rs3 v2. The v720s are the cheapest option but have been on back order of a while. I'm guessing my best bet from what I've read through here would be the rivals?

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Think that size Nexen would be too meaty on a 16x7? Id give them a shot on my 16s.
98-0034 - Track Daze y0

coolhandluke
Break on...

13085 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005

I was planning to hold off on purchasing tires until closer to Expo. Hmm.
98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

ITR Expo 16 Event Photo Thread

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « « » Reply  Edit

#1- if you're doing a 225 then the Rival-S will be the fastest tire at the expense of a higher wear rate. The RS3 will give up some speed in exchange for longer life. There's also the Maxxis VR1 in a 245 if you've got a 9 or 10" wheel... it's almost as fast as the Rival-S (according to the latest GRM) but lasts quite a bit longer.

#2- No clue on 16" fitment for the R. Seems to me like you could probably get it to work for a street car but it would be a handicap for track/comp use.

#3- Yup, more and more stuff coming out it seems. There's the new Federal 595-RSRR (I think) that's being released... it's 140TW so I think it'll have pretty limited appeal and limited data/reviews. There's also the confirmed news that BFG changed their carcass/belt design slightly for the 265 and smaller widths in an effort to bring some steering sharpness/accuracy back into the game. This may mean that the new, new Rival-S works better without having to do a crazy stretch on it (i.e. 15x8 fitment won't struggle as much).

Christian

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

Wowza... snagged from FB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPF1soMYdQw

Quote, originally posted by FB »
WOW, so after I posted up about my experience with Kumho Tire's poor customer service and equally poor product, Kumho commented for me to call them and said that "Our quality assurance team wants to help you," and gave me a number to call. I called earlier this morning and was told that yes, they've had issues with the tire doing exactly what mine did, and that they wanted to come back and provide proper customer service and help to correct the situation. A bit later, I received a call back from the same person I spoke with last week, whose customer service I felt was initially lacking. Surprise surprise, this gentleman proceeded to provide about the same level of "I'm right, you're wrong" service as before, and even went so far as to tell me they had changed their advertising because THE KUMHO V720 IS NOT A PERFORMANCE TIRE, AND SHOULD NOT BE USED AS SUCH.
So, in order to make sure that everyone is aware, Kumho themselves admit that their marketing was MISLEADING and INCORRECT, and the V720 is NOT a "performance" tire WHATSOEVER. Be warned, don't buy into the hype, and DON'T SUPPORT THIS GARBAGE COMPANY AND THEIR GARBAGE PRODUCTS! The proof is in the pudding - have a listen for yourself! I will NOT be purchasing another product from Kumho, be it for one of my vehicles street or race OR for any of my customers' street and/or race vehicles, and I would recommend against anyone else using them. I cannot believe that they would act this way and consider it 'customer service.'
I NEVER asked them for anything unreasonable (only for more info on how to achieve the best results out of a tire they promoted as "bred for performance"), and I didn't ask for any sort of refund or ANYTHING - I simply posted a photo of how their product performed along with a gripe about their product quality matching that of their customer service, and Kumho Tire reached out to ME and "pretended like they wanted to make it right". Absolutely flabbergasted at how Kumho is handling what is OBVIOUSLY a misrepresentation on their part. Shame on you, Kumho Tire! SHAME!

Christian

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Christian, your thoughts?

I noticed the sidewall on the 71R has a few little arrows, Im guessing thats indicating the contact patch limit? In the below pic, the red line is about where my wear shows up on the fronts on my R (forgot to take a pic). Does it look like I have some room to spare and maybe I can bring pressures down a bit to maximize contact patch? Next track day is tomorrow so I plan to mess around with settings.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « « » Reply  Edit

The little arrows are actually to show where the wear bars are located across the face of the tire. That being said, on this tire they tend to line up with where I've been letting the tire roll over to... basically in line with where the lateral siping thins down at the sidewall transition.

Based on your red line, it appears you could go a little lower in hot pressure and potentially improve mechanical grip.

Christian

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Thanks
98-0034 - Track Daze y0

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Hey Christian, how does this sidewall contact patch look to you? This is with 3 HPDEs (one dry and cool, one super wet, and one warm and dry). This last day was warm (low 80s), and pressures in the front were getting to 42* or so and I was getting some push if I went all out or by the end of the session. Rears were getting to around 38. I think Id like a little more rotation as well. Suggestions?

The car was also starting to feel like it had some decent body roll which was a bit unnerving over some of the transition bumps to the infield sections. Definitely will be getting high spring rates.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

Wear and sidewall rollover looks good... appears there's a little room to probably lower the fronts. Maybe try dropping hot pressures to 38-39 and see how it drives/looks? For the rotation thing, you can start bumping rear pressures (cheap and easy). Try a 4-5psi increase and see how the car drives. If it gets better then keep bumping by 2-3psi until you get it how you want. Be careful though as the higher rear pressure will also make the car break loose more quickly when/if it finally comes out on you.
Christian

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Quote, originally posted by Xian »
Wear and sidewall rollover looks good... appears there's a little room to probably lower the fronts. Maybe try dropping hot pressures to 38-39 and see how it drives/looks? For the rotation thing, you can start bumping rear pressures (cheap and easy). Try a 4-5psi increase and see how the car drives. If it gets better then keep bumping by 2-3psi until you get it how you want. Be careful though as the higher rear pressure will also make the car break loose more quickly when/if it finally comes out on you.

Thanks d00d. Would bringing rear camber from -1.5* to closer to -1* have a similar effect in the rear? I'll probably start playing with pressures in the rear first but just curious.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

First  < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 >  Last

» Return to ITR Tech and How-To Library