Author Post

Xian
Suffers from Chronic Car ADD

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « Re: (RTW DC2R)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R »

Thanks d00d. Would bringing rear camber from -1.5* to closer to -1* have a similar effect in the rear? I'll probably start playing with pressures in the rear first but just curious.

Anytime

Yup, changing the rear camber to [Not Ideal] will throw away rear grip also. You can get there either with low camber (1*) or with really, really high camber (3+*).

Christian
Rotating inventory of stuff...
FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2208 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002
 « Re: (Xian)« » Reply  Edit

Im also on stock sway bars so might have to look into a rear bar. Though the only real issue with rotation I seem to have is later in sessions so Im thinking Im getting more grip in the rear as tires heat up.

Next event is Wednesday so hopefully get to toy around with settings then.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0
00-XXXX - The OG NOPI Fish Tank Type R - SOLD

My For Sale thread ITR and Misc Parts For Sale

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R »

Im also on stock sway bars so might have to look into a rear bar. Though the only real issue with rotation I seem to have is later in sessions so Im thinking Im getting more grip in the rear as tires heat up.

Next event is Wednesday so hopefully get to toy around with settings then.

Yup, if it starts out balanced and then gets pushy, it's likely a case where either the fronts are overheating and getting greasy or the rears are coming to temp and getting grippier. More rear bar should (in a perfect world) create more slip angle back there earlier on entry and let you modulate throttle to keep it in the "happy place" through the turn. FWIW and all that but I loved the ASR 0.120 wall bar on my car with stock springs.

Christian

aw614

400 posts [100%]
Lutz FL
8-18-2012

interesting, and you were using the asr rear sway bar on the bfg rivals? it never felt it was overkill in the rear? Did you make any rear tire pressure changes with the asr bar?

Honestly I've been wondering about going slightly bigger in the rear just to try it out...I just hate trying to match the rear holes when installing the sway bar

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « Re: (aw614)« » Reply  Edit

Yup, I ran the 26mm Mugen bar with a completely DS setup (Z1 Star Spec) and then later ran the ASR with stock springs and 15x8's (205 Rival). Neither setup was overly loose though both required you to be on top of the wheel and throttle.

This was the last event I did in the car ^^^. IIRC, it was the ASR bar, revalved and shortened Bilsteins, bumpstops from RESupension.com, and stock springs. Basically DS legal except the wider wheels. If I were doing a DS prep again, I'd do basically the same thing but with 71R's. How big is your current bar?

Christian

aw614

400 posts [100%]
Lutz FL
8-18-2012

stock rear 22mm bar, I've gotten used to being on the throttle on my current setup after initially not being used to it. I take it with the larger rear bar it will point and shoot a lot more? I just want to try something different with the rear, while still keeping the stockish suspension for now, I think it could rotate a tad more than what it currently does.

I've pondered getting the godspeed 25mm solid sway bar on ebay b/c its cheap just to try it out, but Im not sure on the measurements and how much stiffer it would be over the stock 22mm. I know Stephen from Team Integra is using it on his GSR.

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

It's not that it'll "point and shoot" so much as you can be on the throttle (to varying degrees) on corner entry vs. trail braking in. I think I started a thread a couple years ago where I ended up working out the relative stiffness of the different bars. IIRC, the 26mm solid is about the same rate as the smallest ASR (0.95 wall) in it's middle setting. The next size up with ASR (0.120) is slightly stiffer when adjusted to full soft than the 26mm solid bar. From that point up, the rates get pretty nutty. I think the 25mm solid (I ran a Cusco one on my 01 for a bit) was a little softer than the softest setting on the smallest ASR bar.

All the above options are quite a bit (double?) the stiffness of the 22mm bar. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the 22mm bar... it's a great street bar but I preferred a larger one. The counterpoint to this is that Ed (Zygspeed), who sold me the 26mm Mugen, said that he damn near spun his car doing less than 50mph when he tried to run it. The point being that different setups are different, different applications are different, and different driver preferences are different. A big rear bar is worth trying but may necessitate other changes to the car/driver in order to get it to work for you.

Christian

coolhandluke
Break on...

13072 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005

Quote, originally posted by aw614 »
...I've pondered getting the godspeed 25mm solid sway bar on ebay b/c its cheap just to try it out, but Im not sure on the measurements and how much stiffer it would be over the stock 22mm. I know Stephen from Team Integra is using it on his GSR.

I would definitely check out the Eibach RSB. It is ~22mm but with stronger steel and has three settings for stiffness. Oh and it is super affordable.

98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

ITR Expo 16 Event Photo Thread

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « Re: (coolhandluke)« » Reply  Edit

And Eibach are good people.
Christian

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2208 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Might look into that bar

Got some more data on the 71R yesterday

Overall a great day. On the sunny and hot side though (mid 80s) so I was curious how hot and slippery these would get. I found in the 3rd session Reviewing logs and uploading vids as I speak.

Started cold pressures out at 32F, 34R before first session. Didnt push the car too hard but tires felt pretty good. Temps at the end of the session were up to where they normally get, around 40F and 38R.

For the start of the 2nd session, pressures were still high from the first session, so I lowered them back down to 32/34 again. Car still felt really good and had a nice battle with a Carrera S (I won ). Then VTEC started cutting in and out so I had to back way off the rest of the session. Pressures at the end of the session were around 37 all around.

3rd session, pressures were still high from previous session, so I lowered them again to 30F and 33R. Also added more oil and had no more VTEC hiccups. The car was very planted and set my fastest lap time of the day during this session. Then I got a little aggressive through one of the more slippery turns, pushed hard to the outside, dropped two tires and caught the edge of the track and it spun me out. Kept my foot in the gas hoping the tires would catch (you could hear them trying) but it didnt happen. Probably more of me over driving the turn than the tires losing grip. Went through pit lane to check the car over, all good, and back out I went.

Overall the car felt very similar to previous days but with maybe a little more grip up front to where I could feel the tires working a little more. Rotation felt about the same though so not sure what my next move will be. Maybe try more pressure in the rear, or pick up a RSB and play with that, or both. Regardless of my rotation tweaking, these tires are brilliant, and so is the car. Ive never had a Porshe driver come over to me and say hey, Im the guy in the Porsche you passed. Gotta like that. I havent totaled up the mileage on these tires yet (mostly track, with a couple hundred street when I was lazy and didnt feel like changing back at the end of the day) but so far they seem to be holding up well.

But for now the first thing I need are seats. These stock seats are KILLING ME lol. Re-adjusting my body and seat belt after every turn is getting old.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

Sounds like another good time out.

On the seat thing, are you locking the seatbelt tight across you before you go on track? I used to have a routine... slide the seat back part way, tighten the belt across my lap, push my torso back in the seat, reach up with my hand and give the belt a sharp tug to lock it, lean into the locked belt, and then pull myself forward with my feet (under the pedals). Seemed to do a solid job of locking me in place and is cheap.

Christian

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2208 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Quote, originally posted by Xian »
Sounds like another good time out.

On the seat thing, are you locking the seatbelt tight across you before you go on track? I used to have a routine... slide the seat back part way, tighten the belt across my lap, push my torso back in the seat, reach up with my hand and give the belt a sharp tug to lock it, lean into the locked belt, and then pull myself forward with my feet (under the pedals). Seemed to do a solid job of locking me in place and is cheap.

Great tip on the seat belt thing, didnt even think of that. Will give that a shot next time out.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

I'm a fan of cheap, effective, and easy.

PS
That's why I like Conley's sister so much.

PPS
Let's see how long it takes for him to read this.

Christian

coolhandluke
Break on...

13072 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005

I'm a fan of cheap, effective, and easy.

PS
That's why I like Conley's sister so much.

PPS
Let's see how long it takes for him to read this.

You have to get in line behind:
-Len (arranged marriage at 40yo)
-Brad

98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

Quote, originally posted by coolhandluke »

You have to get in line behind:
-Len (arranged marriage at 40yo)
-Brad

I'm always in line behind Brad (Adams). His dad-bod makes me sw00n.

Christian

BLacK FirE

792 posts [100%]
7-2-2008

Ordered my tires yesterday at 4pm. At my office at noon today

Decided on the rivals.

coolhandluke
Break on...

13072 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005

I'm always in line behind Brad (Adams). His dad-bod makes me sw00n.

Quote, originally posted by BLacK FirE »
Ordered my tires yesterday at 4pm. At my office at noon today

Decided on the rivals.

Sweet! Now post some pics of those new wheels sir!

I should probably order tires for Expo soon. I'm still leaning towards RE-71's.

98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

If you're going with 71R's, I'd order them now... supply has been up and down. If you're doing the Rival-S, it may pay to hold out for the revised tire but that's a bit of a wild card as the delivery dates are still TBD and supplies haven't been the hottest either.
Christian

BLacK FirE

792 posts [100%]
7-2-2008

Quote, originally posted by coolhandluke »

Sweet! Now post some pics of those new wheels sir!

Still waiting on my wheels. Believe they are being shipped today so I should have them the end of next week with the holiday.

coolhandluke
Break on...

13072 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005

If you're going with 71R's, I'd order them now... supply has been up and down. If you're doing the Rival-S, it may pay to hold out for the revised tire but that's a bit of a wild card as the delivery dates are still TBD and supplies haven't been the hottest either.

The gamble on my end is where to ship the tires and to ask for them not to be stored in the heat.

98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

First  < 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >  Last

» Return to ITR Tech and How-To Library