Extreme Performance Tire InformationFirst  < 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 >  Last
Author Post

Xian
Suffers from Chronic Car ADD

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « Re: (Dystopia)« » Reply  Edit

I'd be sorta tempted to do the 205 Maxxis... should work ok with stock wheels, give you better grip than the UHP tires, and better wear than the 71R.
Christian
Rotating inventory of stuff...
FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Dystopia

54 posts [100%]
Salem New Jersey
3-19-2015
 « Re: (Xian)« » Reply  Edit

Thanks for the advice gents. Ended up deciding on a set of the Indy 500's @ $51 each (and I can pick them up in Delaware avoiding shipping cost)... I'm just not at a point where i can justify something good for the track right now. Hoping to save up for a real set of track wheels and tires in the future. Now this thread can get back on topic...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...y+500

01 - ITR #1295 PY - Stock 98K
01 - Integra GS-R - Stock 94K
05 Saabaru Aero 9-2X - The DD
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known". -- Carl Sagan

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Let us know how they work out. Could be a cheap alternative for anyone needed a set.

Does that mean you will make it to the NE meet?

98-0034 - Track Daze y0
00-XXXX - The OG NOPI Fish Tank Type R - SOLD

My For Sale thread ITR and Misc Parts For Sale

Dystopia

54 posts [100%]
Salem New Jersey
3-19-2015
 « Re: (RTW DC2R)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R »
Let us know how they work out. Could be a cheap alternative for anyone needed a set.

Does that mean you will make it to the NE meet?

Yessss! And to further commit, I was able to fix my CEL with a different ECU. I'll be making a trip to the inspection station soon to officially make her legal!!

01 - ITR #1295 PY - Stock 98K
01 - Integra GS-R - Stock 94K
05 Saabaru Aero 9-2X - The DD
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known". -- Carl Sagan

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Quote, originally posted by Dystopia »

Yessss! And to further commit, I was able to fix my CEL with a different ECU. I'll be making a trip to the inspection station soon to officially make her legal!!

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

FYI I ran the 71R flipped yesterday. Took it easy the first session to feel them out. I expected them to feel like crap but by the end of the day they felt pretty close to normal. If anything it almost felt like my car wanted to rotate a little easier which I liked until it bit me in the ass late in the day. It was a little cooler temps outside so maybe they werent getting quite as sticky as usual.
98-0034 - Track Daze y0

touringteg

59 posts [100%]
Victoria BC
5-2-2016

Good info thanks ^ ! What tire pressures were you running when hot?

I ran 16x6.5 with 205/45/16 RE71R for the first time today at autoX. I ended up hot 36F and 33R. All stock suspension.

The fronts were rolling over about half way down the shoulder to the start of the sidewall but rears didn't. I wasn't sure about lowering the pressure more in the rear as the car felt balanced despite not using the entire tread.

Xian: Big thanks for the seat belt trick posted a few pages back! I had no problems with sliding around in the seat after locking the shoulder belt.

Modified by touringteg at 4:53 PM 9/18/2016

ITR # 01-1233 CDM

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002
 « Re: (touringteg)« » Reply  Edit

Im sure autox doesnt build as much heat as a 20 min track session so keep that in mind. But I seem to like the fronts to be around 36-37 hot (30 cold), that seems to be about the range most of the contact patch is used before it feels sloppy and mushy. I run slightly higher cold psi in the rear though (33) since temps dont come up quite as much as the fronts and it seems to help me with rotation. Hot rears are usually around 38-39 for me. Depends on track/weather of course.

Im on PIC R3 with 10/12k springs, stock bars, and about -3* front and -1.5* rear camber.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

touringteg

59 posts [100%]
Victoria BC
5-2-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

Very true. It was a mild day at about 65F as well so temps stayed pretty low. I checked my cold pressures and it is 32F and 28R. (36F and 33R hot).

When I dropped the rears for my last two runs from 35R to 33R hot to see if I could get more roll over things got sloppy and I was unable to match my best run of the day (run 6 of 9).

I'll up my rear pressure because it seem to provide better response and a faster time.

Thanks for the info

As a side note I checked what other tires people were running and at least half of the field (small turn out of 23 racers) was running RE71R. Very popular tire for autoX in Canada. Hankook RS3, Rivals, Kumho V710 all have to be ordered from the US where as we can get RE71R or RE11 from Costco with ease.

ITR # 01-1233 CDM

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « Re: (touringteg)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by touringteg »

Xian: Big thanks for the seat belt trick posted a few pages back! I had no problems with sliding around in the seat after locking the shoulder belt.<br /><br />
Modified by touringteg at 4:53 PM 9/18/2016

Sweet! Yeah, it works plenty well for anything short of legit TT/extended track use.

Christian

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

In new, news the Maxxis VR-1 is supposed to be available in a 225/45 late this year or early next year. That'll give them a 205, 225, and 245 15" option. Really cool to see the support for the smaller tire diameters! Also some news that Conti is reworking their DW and renaming it "Sport". Good news here is that dry weather performance is supposed to match the Michelin PSS and they'll be offering a 205/50 15. This should be a pretty awesome tire choice for folks who need a little better street or wet manners than they can get from the Extreme Performance category offerings.
Christian

aw614

405 posts [100%]
Lutz FL
8-18-2012

damn that will be a good daily driver tire to have, always thought there was too much of a gap between the 200 tw extreme performance tires and the next step down for 15s.

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « Re: (aw614)« » Reply  Edit

Some anecdotal evidence that the Nexen doesn't do well pinched or without enough camber. Folks with Minis and FoRS are managing to burn off the outside shoulder of the tire. Granted those cars are especially tough on tires but it's still kinda crappy.

Rumor mill- word on the street is that BFG is considering whether or not to build a Rival-S in 245/35 15 like Maxxis is offering. *IF* they did this, it'd be a pretty badass offering if you can get it under the front fenders.

Christian

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Speaking of shoulder wear, I pretty much burned through my 71Rs on the outside shoulders as well. Still plenty of meat in the middle but the shoulders are worn smooth. I noticed it a few events ago. And by day 2 at Expo I was slipping and sliding all over the place. Im guessing its from running low-ish tire pressures. You can see it pretty good below on the right side tires. They have about 550-600 track miles on them after Expo 16 and less than 200 street miles.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

Yup, based on the pic, I'd say you need more camber and/or wider wheels. Higher pressure could work also but that stands a good chance of making the front of the car sorta pushy (so you'd need to bump rear pressures/spring/bar to compensate).

FWIW, the tire itself, is good to the cords. You may have been pushing the tire harder toward the end of Day 2 or ambient temp could have been enough to make it start to go off. You can certainly overheat that tire if you lean hard enough on it.

This tire was still sticky/good...

Christian

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2312 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Nice. If $$$ allows I may switch to R comps for next season. But if I can get a few more miles out of these I might run them as far as they will go before switching. Any idea how many miles are on the tires in your pic? Mine seem to be wearing better than I expected except for the shoulder area.

I am definitely going to be making changes to suspension in the off season, including full bushing refresh, higher rates, maybe a rear bar upgrade, and maybe a little more camber. Also might want a fugen wing or similar for a little more stability/grip during high speed cornering.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

coolhandluke
Break on...

13085 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005

Refreshing the old/worn bushings are the car with new OEM rubber/similar will definitely tighten up the car. I would definitely run the main pieces before switching to rcomps.
98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

ITR Expo 16 Event Photo Thread

Xian

1780 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R »
Nice. If $$$ allows I may switch to R comps for next season. But if I can get a few more miles out of these I might run them as far as they will go before switching. Any idea how many miles are on the tires in your pic? Mine seem to be wearing better than I expected except for the shoulder area.

I am definitely going to be making changes to suspension in the off season, including full bushing refresh, higher rates, maybe a rear bar upgrade, and maybe a little more camber. Also might want a fugen wing or similar for a little more stability/grip during high speed cornering.

Those were on a buddy's chumpcar and had ~24 hours on them. Just pointing out that you can run them until they cord without a performance drop off (assuming they don't heat cycle out beforehand and assuming wet performance isn't a big deal).

I don't remember the specifics of your setup but some more front rate and some more rear bar is often a good combination. Flattens the car out but helps keep a similar balance. Agreed with your (and Ryan's) thought about looking at bushings. IIRC, Ryan did a write-up on using a blend of OE and spherical. Sounds like a good combination that worked well. Also, if you're getting Kingpin stuff (and I suggest that you do), do it *NOW*... it appears Chris may be winding down his business very soon.

Christian

integrao
Christmas Oreo

577 posts [100%]
Greenville SC
8-13-2010

[quote=Xian]Yup, based on the pic, I'd say you need more camber and/or wider wheels. Higher pressure could work also but that stands a good chance of making the front of the car sorta pushy (so you'd need to bump rear pressures/spring/bar to compensate).

Xian, I get how inncreased pressure/more camber could help even wear but I don't understand why a wider rim would. I would thing a smaller rim would "round out" the tire similar to over inflating I have a very similar was pattern with my re-11s. Outside is smooth but inside block has good tread. (205 re11 on 6.5 inch wheels) I don't have enough camber though.

aw614

405 posts [100%]
Lutz FL
8-18-2012
 « Re: (integrao)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by integrao »
[quote=Xian]Yup, based on the pic, I'd say you need more camber and/or wider wheels. Higher pressure could work also but that stands a good chance of making the front of the car sorta pushy (so you'd need to bump rear pressures/spring/bar to compensate).

Xian, I get how inncreased pressure/more camber could help even wear but I don't understand why a wider rim would. I would thing a smaller rim would "round out" the tire similar to over inflating I have a very similar was pattern with my re-11s. Outside is smooth but inside block has good tread. (205 re11 on 6.5 inch wheels) I don't have enough camber though.

Wear like this?

This was on my old RE-11A on the stock 15x6 wheels and on stock UCA, I was running 40 psi front and 45 psi rear. Strangely enough they were still grippy and lasted a few more events with my friend and his e30. Though I think his e30 needed much more camber...

Im on RE71r now with -2 degrees of camber, but still on 15x6 wheels. But I don't think it's going to wear as uneven as that. They are wearing a lot more even now with probably 80 or so runs on them.

First  < 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 >  Last

» Return to ITR Tech and How-To Library