info on the odyssey!

HondaRcB

1159 posts [100%]
Henrico VA
12-5-2002
 « Re: (aw614)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by aw614 »
info on the odyssey!

Look on Facebook for the Honda of Alabama race Team.

Integras rock.

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2205 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002
 « Re: (HondaRcB)« » Reply  Edit

Nice work in here!
98-0034 - Track Daze y0
00-XXXX - The OG NOPI Fish Tank Type R - SOLD

My For Sale thread ITR and Misc Parts For Sale

DB

283 posts [100%]
Saraland AL
9-11-2013
 « « » Reply  Edit

Update:
In my quest for a shorter pedal I have replaced the master cyl, flex hoses and front calipers and bled the system many times. It is better, but still not where it should be. They still work very well, so I decided to shift my focus towards other things.

Honda reman calipers are nice and worth the marginal $ over other reman options. I got these from Chase on here. The nickel plating looks good. The Russell lines are quality. The only problem I found is I had to grind the rear calipers a little where the lines connect. No problems up front.-

I took it back to Johnny for a tune with the VAFC2, but it put down 156 HP on the first few runs. No changes to the car other than running the 225 Rivals on 15x8s. Not sure what was going on we decided to not tune it until I figured out what was wrong. After much head scratching I took it to another dyno. This time on the stock tires and wheels. It made 182 on the first pull. So the Dynocom and the car are very sensitive to increased rolling resistance. Lesson learned. I did not swap to the 225s to see if it had the same effect on the Dynojet.

I installed a Sparco R383 wheel. Lots of parts gathering to do this right. I used a NRG short hub adapter, NRG Gen 2.5 quick release and a Crowder's 1 1/8" spacer. The wheel didn't come with screws, I needed a junkyard SRS cable reel connector, 2 ohm resistor and a pre-SRS shoe horn.
No SRS light and the horn button works. I soldered the resistor and put heat shrink tubing over the joints and it. I don't think it will get hot, but I covered it all in flex loom too just to be safe. The wheel is perfectly positioned now and being 13" vs 15", I have more leg room.

From bus to kart-

Pre-SRS shoe horn-

2 ohm 1/4W resistor soldered, heat shrinked and covered with flex loom-

I wired the AMB transponder to this cool switch in the cruise control blank. It is completely visible from the driver's seat-

I'm going to autox it this Saturday. First time since last year. Gonna be rusty.

-Dan
98-0460 Sold
01-0612 Mine since Oct. '12.
'01 Z06 Lingenfelter 383 plus too many track mods to list
'02 Yukon XL 4WD
'14 Mazda 6 MT

aw614

400 posts [100%]
Lutz FL
8-18-2012
 « Re: (DB)« » Reply  Edit

Im guessing the pedal feel in general with abs is going to be long and sorta mushy? I know people have recommended removing abs for better pedal feel, but I assume you probably want to keep it? I know Im in that camp of keeping abs.

Good pictures on the steering wheel, I've been looking at a previous h-t thread on doing the procedure and all the pics were dead. Why did you end up having to get another SRS reel connector?

DB

283 posts [100%]
Saraland AL
9-11-2013
 « Re: (aw614)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by aw614 »
Im guessing the pedal feel in general with abs is going to be long and sorta mushy? I know people have recommended removing abs for better pedal feel, but I assume you probably want to keep it? I know Im in that camp of keeping abs.

Good pictures on the steering wheel, I've been looking at a previous h-t thread on doing the procedure and all the pics were dead. Why did you end up having to get another SRS reel connector?

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the ABS causing it. It got slightly better after the car came off the dyno and I heard the pump run. I'd like to keep it, so I'll continue to try to improve it.

Same here on the thread pics. Pretty good instructions, but pics are always nice to have too.
I have more pics and details on the wheel swap I can post. I'll try to get those up this week. Here's some info from memory-
You don't have to use another SRS reel, I just wanted the connector from it. I got it cheap. You can cut your stock one off the reel or just find another way to connect the resistor.

I couldn't find the torque specs on the nut, so I checked it. It was between 45-50 lb ft. I torqued mine to 50.
The screws (6) needed for the wheel are easy to find on ebay and are about $6 shipped.
You'll need two 1/4" female spade crimp connectors. One for the shoe horn and the other for the horn button. Both connections on the Sparco horn button are male, but the NRG connectors are male & female.
I used a bridge tap connector to connect to the factory horn wire. You can do the same for the SRS if you don't want to cut the connector off or buy another one.
I messed up by connecting the battery at some point with the airbag unplugged. This cost me some time since I had to do the SRS reset procedure. So be careful to avoid that. The reset procedure is fairly easy, but it took me a few tries to get it done.

-Dan
98-0460 Sold
'02 Yukon XL 4WD
'14 Mazda 6 MT

NITE_GRIND

206 posts [100%]
sOuL CaL CA
1-7-2015
 « « » Reply  Edit

Nice thread Dan. Car is so clean inside and out. Great to see you having fun with it.

coolhandluke
Break on...

13070 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005
 « Re: (NITE_GRIND)« » Reply  Edit

Nice write up on the steering wheel. Replacing my steering wheel is an action item on my list and I would like to do it right via the shoehorn and SRS resistor. Thanks for the info!
98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

ITR Expo 16 Event Photo Thread

DB

283 posts [100%]
Saraland AL
9-11-2013
 « Re: (NITE_GRIND)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by NITE_GRIND »
Nice thread Dan. Car is so clean inside and out. Great to see you having fun with it.

Thanks

-Dan
98-0460 Sold
'02 Yukon XL 4WD
'14 Mazda 6 MT

DB

283 posts [100%]
Saraland AL
9-11-2013
 « Re: (coolhandluke)« » Reply  Edit

More info-

Here's the hub adapter and QR part #s-

Shoe horn-

Wire extension and connector sex change-

-Dan
98-0460 Sold
'02 Yukon XL 4WD
'14 Mazda 6 MT

DB

283 posts [100%]
Saraland AL
9-11-2013
 « « » Reply  Edit

The car was a blast to drive Saturday. I did better than I was expecting with the year break.
I finished 5/70 Raw and 4/70 Pax. No real competition in STX now with the next driver being 4 secs back.

The video turned out well. I think the sound is perfect with one mic mounted on the passenger's side sun visor close to the center of the car.

http://youtu.be/zHmoU4h6sO0

Love this pic-

The Acura camp-

-Dan
98-0460 Sold
'02 Yukon XL 4WD
'14 Mazda 6 MT

BITANGA

373 posts [100%]

2-19-2013
 « « » Reply  Edit

PM'd
1994 Acura Integra GS-R
1998 Acura Integra Type-R #0413

Instagram: Bitanga

DB

283 posts [100%]
Saraland AL
9-11-2013
 « « » Reply  Edit

Post TGPR TT weekend update:

I was faster dropping the DSP class record to 1:08.583 averaging 74.0 MPH. I finished 4th overall out of 27.

I switched to the 205 BFG R1-S from the Hoosier SM7 since the prices are similar and the R1-S is softer and better suited for TT work. I should be able to make them work in TTD too once I get dyno reclassed.
I also ran the 225 Rival S to do laps while we were making suspension changes. The Rival S surprised me. I was able to get down to .05 of my best time in April on the scrub SM7s.

Front and rear camber was increased to -3.5 F and -2.5 R. 1/32" toe out F and rear. No shock setting changes.
I started with the spring and bar setup I was on in April (14/ 10) switching to rear stiff (14/ 18) at lunch. All this was done while on the Rival S. We started with the bar at full soft then 1/2. I then ran the last session of Saturday on the R1-S. I got my best time. That night I set the bar to full stiff and was hoping to better that time the next day. I couldn't do it. I could only get down to a 1:09.0. I think the track just wasn't as good on Sunday and a couple of other drivers were thinking the same thing.

I'm very pleased. The car continues to impress.
I got 150+ miles of track time and the tires are still alive.

Fastest lap-

http://youtu.be/DpJA1-JrGIw

A few of my fails-

http://youtu.be/Ep_vPuztDC8

-Dan
98-0460 Sold
'02 Yukon XL 4WD
'14 Mazda 6 MT

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2205 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Good stuff here

Why did you need a spacer for the steering wheel setup? Was that just to bring the wheel closer to driver? Also, regarding the SRS, whats a shoehorn lol? Lastly, where did you source the resistor? I heard those can be hard to find, ie some radio shacks have them others have no idea what youre talking about.

Steering wheel swap is in my very near future so I can get rid of my ragged stock unit. Still trying to learn about the necessary pieces required before I decide what wheel to buy.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

DB

283 posts [100%]
Saraland AL
9-11-2013
 « Re: (RTW DC2R)« » Reply  Edit

I'm 6'3" so with the race seat where I need it, the wheel was a bit of a reach. I think it's actually called horn shoe. It's what you need to make contact to the back of the wheel. It stays in constant contact with the copper disc on the back of the hub adapter. I'm not sure if there's 12V on it or just a ground. I didn't check. The horn circuit is open until you close it by pressing the button.
I had to go to an electronics supply store to get the SRS resistor (air bag simulator). I couldn't find one online. It's a 10 cent part.
-Dan
98-0460 Sold
'02 Yukon XL 4WD
'14 Mazda 6 MT

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2205 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

Got it. Thanks for the info
98-0034 - Track Daze y0

DB

283 posts [100%]
Saraland AL
9-11-2013
 « « » Reply  Edit

Update:

I switched to a 1" thicker steering wheel spacer and I like having the wheel closer-

I removed the safety button while I was in there. This will only keep me from quickly exiting, defeating the purpose of a guick release-

I tried out the 14K/18K spring setup at a localish autocross last month. This was a tight course and it was pretty lively. I had the bar at 1/2, rear tire pressure 2 psi lower and dropped bump and rebound on the rear shocks a couple of clicks.
On my 6th and last run I finished first Raw and 2nd PAX. Only 30 drivers showed up, but I'll take it. That's my first FTD overall in the car.
I think I prefer the 14K/10K for autocross at this point. I'm thinking I may try putting the 18Ks up front to see how 18K/14K feels.

I got spotted on the way back

My FTD run-

http://youtu.be/RxSLvyhFRo4

Over the holidays I took it to Mike Amerson at TDC in Mobile to be tuned with the VAFC2.

We decided to baseline it on the 225 Rival S/ 15x8 setup. It put down 182. Same as it did on the stock wheels and 195/55 S Drives.

He did 4 runs and they were all within 1 HP. Run 5 was the strongest at 186.27. Here's the last run-

Here's one showing the final run taking 2 secs less than the baseline-

Here's a video of the last dyno run-

http://youtu.be/T1h3m8vcxqA

No factory wiring was harmed by this mod thanks to the Boomslang PNP harness-

It's a little snug, but it all fits without any worries about the wires getting damaged-

A can koozie will have to do for now to keep it from getting banged around in there-

-Dan
98-0460 Sold
'02 Yukon XL 4WD
'14 Mazda 6 MT

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2205 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002
 « « » Reply  Edit

Another nice update.

Looks like the VAFC helped smooth things out a bit and gets into the power a little sooner.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0

coolhandluke
Break on...

13070 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005
 « Re: (RTW DC2R)« » Reply  Edit

Nice updates. I'm curious, what led you to the VAFCII? Is it class related?

Car looks great btw.

98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

ITR Expo 16 Event Photo Thread

DB

283 posts [100%]
Saraland AL
9-11-2013
 « Re: (coolhandluke)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R »
Another nice update.

Looks like the VAFC helped smooth things out a bit and gets into the power a little sooner.

Thanks for the compliments, guys
Yes that was one thing the tuner pointed out. I'm not sure how the VAFC2 is able to do that. I'm guessing it just dampens the sensitivity being between the sensors and the ECU. The crossover is now at 5K. There's a couple of turns on my regular tracks (T2&3 at TGPR and T3 & 16 at Nola) that I find myself exiting in 3rd at ~5K and I haven't been able to make 2nd gear work better. So the bump will be nice.

Quote, originally posted by coolhandluke »
Nice updates. I'm curious, what led you to the VAFCII? Is it class related?

Car looks great btw.

It's STX legal and a NASA free mod plus relatively inexpensive. I picked up the VAFC2 and harness on here for $200 and got it tuned for $100.

-Dan
98-0460 Sold
'02 Yukon XL 4WD
'14 Mazda 6 MT
 First  < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last

» Return to General Discussion