85 CRX-Si - current (original owner)

Xian
Suffers from Chronic Car ADD

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « Re: Anyone going to Gridlife in Atlanta? (coolhandluke)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by coolhandluke »
The lack of pictures in this thread is disturbing.

Guess you should have been there?

This guy had a ton of pics from the weekend:

https://www.facebook.com/JBOph...75350

Rowdy Datsun 510:

My buddy Blake's FP car out for a shakedown before the runoffs later this month:

Cody was there with the Enviate:

Pretty slick E30 drift car:

Christian
Rotating inventory of stuff...
FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012
 « Re: Anyone going to Gridlife in Atlanta? (Xian)« » Reply  Edit

The EF in the foreground was probably one of my more favorite cars of the weekend. Basically a super-cheap track car, completely gutted, super basic build, but with a K20 in it. Had "Chirpin' 3rd" decals/stickers as a theme and a raccoon see-through mural on the back window.

In the background is my buddy Matt's E30 ITS car. He was shaking it down in "Track Battle" during the weekend. Long time SCCA dude who had a fucking BLAST over the weekend and was on one of the SlipAnal Podcasts with Bowie.

Scion XA below... say it at the Dixie National Tour earlier this year and the thing is just absolutely silly. It has ALL THE COOLERS, eleventy seven brazillion HP, and is super rad. It eventually blew up but was sooooooo fast until it died.

RWD converted GD Subaru STi... neat car, just didn't have much of a chance to talk with the owner.

240SX Convertible drift car... not particularly a cool car or anything but I was walking down pit lane before the drift cars went out on Saturday and just chatting with folks. Popping my head into cars and thanking them for the badasss show they were putting on, commenting on prior sessions, etc. Anyway, this dude was soooo super humble. Said that it had been his "dream for more than a decade to get out to an event like this and drive with the Pro-guys". Out of everyone I met all weekend, the drift guys impressed me the most. Super-laid back, let's go have a good time and get better at this attitude. It was the polar opposite of some of the Time Trial dudes and even a couple guys in the Advanced/Instructor group of HPDE.

Christian

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

I spent some time talking with these guys with the Supras. One had a Viper V10 with a HUGE turbo, another had an LS with a turbo (or was it TT?), and then another had a 2JZ or 1JZ turbo in it. Awesome guys all around and I got a chance to talk through suspension design/theory/setup with them as far as what they do now vs. where setup originally started, etc. Pretty nifty to hear how much their approach to tuning the setup on the cars has changed and the amount of custom fab/engineering that goes into them. Probably one of the more interesting conversations that I had during the weekend. They also put on a GREAT show throughout the weekend and drove their cars up to the stage area for the concert Saturday night and talked with folks milling around.

Tuerk and Forsberg as well as Gittin (not pictured here) were off the fuggin' chains all weekend... massive slides, huge speed, crazy angles, etc. Awesome show from those dudes.

Despite not knowing any of the musicians all weekend, those dudes put on a helluva show. Seriously. They got the crowd amped up and were super involved/energized/etc. I was surprised at how much fun a middle-aged white dude could have with all those kids and their loud music, flat brim hats, and vape clouds.

My buddy Scott (NASA Honda Challenge co-founder) and his wife, Renee's 1st Gen CRX dubbed The Honey Badger. It was bought off Jabaay for cheap, has the worlds widest roll bar installed, a $20 black wang from Tall Kyle, a free whale penis intake, etc... just cobbled together out of parts that other folks didn't want. It's running a slightly higher than stock compression D16Z6 making like 140whp, IIRC, and was doing 44-45's at Road Atlanta. That little fucker is NOT slow. lol

Awesome builds were everywhere....

Some of the tandem drifts were simply insane... these dudes were rolling ~120ish into 10A, pitching the car sideways off the e-brake, and then riding it out.

Through a confluence of being nice and being lucky, I managed to get a ride with Gittin at the end of Saturday. I don't know what to say other than: if you ever get the chance, DO IT. It was probably the coolest thing I've ever done in the passenger seat of a car (well, except for that one girl when I was in college).

Christian

Xian

1773 posts [100%]
Fl
1-3-2012

Saturday night had Waka Flaka Flame playing (I thought "Waka Flaka" was what Fozzie the Bear said). Again, awesome show and the crowd LOVED it. Not my sorta music but I did manage to snag a pic with Waka at the request of TK.

For Sunday, the Pro-drift cars got to drift the whole track... anywhere they wanted. It was simply silly. Go check out the GridLife FB page for video but these dudes were drifting T11-T12 and the front straight at speeds that were pretty ludicrous. No bent metal, no crashes, and it was a full-on car control clinic watching them:

Two local, autocross buddies of mine. The EG is running a "poor mans ITR" engine setup and the DC is running some sort of high compression B18. They both had a blast at the track and managed not to blow anything up or crash.

There was some bent metal throughout the weekend but it was almost entirely in the "Track Battle" run groups... Road Atlanta is a track that, when you battle it, sometimes it's gonna win.

I let a friend of mine take Roller Pig out for a couple laps. He'd never been to Road Atlanta before so we broke his cherry with a short ~3-4 lap run during the Novice group. He did fine but it reminds me why I don't like instructing at RA... awesome track but it's pretty nerve wracking when you're not the one behind the wheel!

Christian

redzcstandardhatch
im adam and i say hi

427 posts [100%]
south.Holland il
12-15-2005

Just saw this...