Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help Quick Reply
 CTR (EK9 type r) motorsport editionFirst  1 2 >  Last
Author Post

MINTY FRESH

85 posts [100%]
10-2-2009
  CTR (EK9 type r) motorsport edition/N1 race base« » Reply  Edit

Hello,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. I have a chance to buy a 2000 EK9 Type R motorsport/N1 race base edition from Japan. The motorsport/ NI race base edition is a EK9 TYPE R that was stripped out by Honda so that it could be turned into a race car. Due to this, most of the creature comforts, including the red racing seats have been removed. The car I am looking at has around 100,000 miles on it and has only a few modifications, including hood pins. It is rated as a 3.5 with no indications of any accidents/collisions.

My question is has anybody driven this edition of the EK9 Type R and what is the going rate. Since it is so uncommon I have not been able to find any sales.

Thank you

Andrew (MINTY) <br /><br />
Modified by MINTY FRESH at 2:03 PM 11/21/2016<br /><br />
Modified by MINTY FRESH at 2:38 PM 11/21/2016

Modified by MINTY FRESH at 3:08 PM 11/21/2016

LoooseIS

513 posts [100%]
Phoenix AZ
9-11-2009
 « Re: CTR (EK9 type r) motorsport edition/N1 race base (MINTY FRESH)« » Reply  Edit

The first question is what is your intention with the car? Street car? Show Car? Track Car? RACE car?

For something that stripped even with the race pedigree, I wouldn't pay more than 4-6k before shipping and fees, these cars will be likely much easier to import in the coming years so you may want to hold out.

98 CW #811

MINTY FRESH

85 posts [100%]
10-2-2009
 « Re: CTR (LoooseIS)« » Reply  Edit

Most likely it would be for show. With only 200 of them made I would like to keep it stock as I can. As for price the import company basically adds 4000 cad to the auction price, including delivery, their fee and taxes.

dave7

239 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

Pics? Sounds badass to me.
#01-1322

SwiftITR

132 posts [100%]
Des Moines Iowa
11-20-2015
 « « » Reply  Edit

I would love to find a DC2 or EK9 race base! But I would make it a dedicated track car.

MINTY FRESH

85 posts [100%]
10-2-2009
 « Re: (dave7)« » Reply  Edit

Hello,

As requested, please check this link for pictures:

http://jdmconnection.ca/2016/1...r-ek9/

Given the current exchange rate, the price would be around $7200 American. Overall, I think this is a good price.

Andrew

Dc2-ProductionS
~ITR Hoarder~

246 posts [100%]
Poughkeepsie NY
4-1-2014
 « Re: CTR (EK9 type r) motorsport edition/N1 race base (MINTY FRESH)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by MINTY FRESH »
Hello,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. I have a chance to buy a 2000 EK9 Type R motorsport/N1 race base edition from Japan. The motorsport/ NI race base edition is a EK9 TYPE R that was stripped out by Honda so that it could be turned into a race car. Due to this, most of the creature comforts, including the red racing seats have been removed. The car I am looking at has around 100,000 miles on it and has only a few modifications, including hood pins. It is rated as a 3.5 with no indications of any accidents/collisions.

My question is has anybody driven this edition of the EK9 Type R and what is the going rate. Since it is so uncommon I have not been able to find any sales.

Thank you

Andrew (MINTY) <br /><br />
]

??? So im confused.. Ive never heard of this before. Sounds awesome. But im a bit skeptical...

If they made a "Motorsport/N1" or "Race base" of the CTR, I would hope to all hell they removed more than just the seats. Having A/C and power windows? Not at all N1, Motorsport, or race about it. Speakers, and a deck? Why?

It has what looks like a imitation Airwalker front bumper on it and hood pins. Wrong wheels. Wrong steering wheel. Different suspension.

I would imagine a "Race or N1 or Motorsport" model of an already limited production "Race" type vehicle would have some pretty good bits.

What is the empty cup on the steering column? Looks like a gauge with no gauge. Or a cup of a horn?

I wouldnt touch this car if it was me. Especially over even $5000. Sight unseen, no idea or history.

'97-0012 - CW - The Pit
'01-0590 - PY - The Queen
'01-1058 - NHBP - The Daily

MINTY FRESH

85 posts [100%]
10-2-2009
 « Re: CTR (Dc2-ProductionS)« » Reply  Edit

Hello,

Great questions: Please see the attached link:

http://classicregister.com/con...r-ek9

The funny looking thing on the steering column is for toll booth change in Japan.

And when I asked the seller he admitted that it has no AC or ABS and the current radio was put in after the fact. The only other modifications of note are the shocks and hood pins.

Andrew

Andrew

Dc2-ProductionS
~ITR Hoarder~

246 posts [100%]
Poughkeepsie NY
4-1-2014
 « « » Reply  Edit

So after some digging from writing that post, it seems there IS a EK9 base....

however

NO P/S - This one has
NO A/C - This one has
No Radio - This one has
No Rear Seat- This one has
No power Mirrors- This one has

'97-0012 - CW - The Pit
'01-0590 - PY - The Queen
'01-1058 - NHBP - The Daily

dave7

239 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

Wouldn't it have the recaros if it was a race edition?
#01-1322

MINTY FRESH

85 posts [100%]
10-2-2009

Hello,

Good question. As per some discussions on http://www.EK9.org the idea was the car was meant for racing so the regular seats (blue seats, not the red recaros) were left in so that the person buying the car could remove them, as well as the door panels and whatever else they wanted to and go racing. I know many will disagree but it sort of reminds me of the NSX-R and some Porsche specials. I know that I am delusional but I will never be able to afford one.

Andrew

SwiftITR

132 posts [100%]
Des Moines Iowa
11-20-2015
 « « » Reply  Edit

That "cup" on the steering column has to be for a gauge that was installed at some point. It even has a cut-out at the back on the bottom where the power wires and any mechanical pressure tubing (if applicable) would have been ran through. It looks pretty clean. Not sure about that front bumper tho.

MINTY FRESH

85 posts [100%]
10-2-2009
 « Re: (SwiftITR)« » Reply  Edit

Hello,

Sadly today I received an email from the importer that the car was sold the day before I tried to buy. Which is very annoying considering that somebody on http://www.ek9.org checked the vin number and determined that it was indeed a race base. And yes I was going to replace the front bumper with an original item.

Oh well I guess I will just have to go to the garage and hug 385.

Andrew

SwiftITR

132 posts [100%]
Des Moines Iowa
11-20-2015
 « « » Reply  Edit

Aww, that's a bummer man. Sorry to hear it was sold. I wanted to see what you were going to do with it!

MINTY FRESH

85 posts [100%]
10-2-2009
 « Re: (SwiftITR)« » Reply  Edit

Hello,

Well there I was sitting in the Disneyworld mono-rail going from one park to another and all of a sudden I received an email from the JDM shipper who I had previously been dealing with. He indicated to me that the other party who had bought the 2000 RACE BASE just before me had not paid for it as of yet. And because this, there was the opportunity for me to purchase it. As of today, the funds have been transferred and the car is waiting to come to Canada.

When I first tried to buy this car it was my full intent to bring it back to stock, but I think that is the wrong approach. Because I believe it was Honda's full intent to have these cars modified into full race cars, I am kind of leaning toward preserving the modifications on the car, except for that silly looking gauge/cup or whatever on top of the steering column.

Although I expect there to be problems, I think this will be a very cool car. Not only is it 1 of 200 RACE BASES made from 1998 - 2000, and it appears to have actually been raced in Japan, I think it has a very interesting Serial Number - 1203666. As such, ITR385 will have a friend with the rather biblical title of CTR666.

Along with keeping it in its present configuration, I really want to see how it compares to a stock ITR. Reading through the British websites, there is a strong debate on which is better, many appear to be believe the EK9 is superior to the DC2. And considering that CTR666 appears to be set up for racing, I wonder if ITR385 is going to be rather plan in comparison to it. The stock RACE BASE has been reported to have a 0 - 60 mph of 5.7s!

Any thoughts are welcome.

Andrew

coolhandluke
Break on...

13068 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005
 « Re: (MINTY FRESH)« » Reply  Edit

Well congrats! I look forward to learning more about your purchase. Please keep us updated.
98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

ITR Expo 16 Event Photo Thread

dave7

239 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

Stoked for your updates. That 5.7s to 60 time sounds very impressive.
#01-1322

MINTY FRESH

85 posts [100%]
10-2-2009

Hello Dave 7,

Well, I have my doubts about 5.7s myself. I took the following from an old post from EK9.org:

my ek9 has been timed 0-60 in 6.1 seconds its 197bhp with intake and full exhaust mods it still has back seats in and the air con ,power steering etc ,in effect noting has been stripped off ,its also quicker then my friends uk 2.0
EP3 civic type r his has a full exhaust,intake and remap and has been dynoed @ 245 bhp but once it gets to about 80-90 mph he starts to go past me ,the 5.7 0-60 time was set in japan in a ek9 civic type r N1 edition which had no rear seats, no air con,no power steering,lighter smaller front seats,lighter plastic steering wheel ,and the driver doing the test weighed about 110 lb's lol:)

Since I am closer to 110kg than 110lbs, 5.7s is a dream, even with the race mods that appear to be installed.

Andrew

SwiftITR

132 posts [100%]
Des Moines Iowa
11-20-2015
 « « » Reply  Edit

Congrats! I would love to own a race base like this. Cant wait to see what you do with it!

dave7

239 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

How easy or hard is it to import an EK9 type r?
#01-1322
 First  1 2 >  Last

» Return to General Discussion