Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help Quick Reply
 CTR (EK9 type r) motorsport editionFirst  < 1 2   Last
Author Post

MINTY FRESH

87 posts [100%]
10-2-2009
 « Re: (dave7)« » Reply  Edit

Hello Dave7,

In theory, for Canadians the importing process into Canada is very straightforward since all 1998 to 2000 CTRs are 15 years or older. For American's importing to the United States would be much more difficult because a car has to be at least 25 years old. I have read that there are some 1998 to 2000 CTRs in the United States however I suspect that there might be some legal concerns.

Andrew

Modified by MINTY FRESH at 3:26 PM 1/3/2017

dave7

274 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « Re: (MINTY FRESH)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by MINTY FRESH »
Hello Dave7,

In theory, for Canadians the importing process into Canada is very straightforward since all 1998 to 2000 CTRs are 15 years or older. For American's importing to the United States would be much more difficult because a car has to be at least 25 years old. I have read that there are some 1998 to 2000 CTRs in the United States however I suspect that there might be some legal concerns.

Andrew <br /><br />
Modified by MINTY FRESH at 3:26 PM 1/3/2017

Thanks, that's what I figured. Canada does have its advantages. Maybe some day I'll buy an EK9 type r, and convert it to Lhd.

#01-1322

Sort of Fast
Helmet. Gloves. Attack.

68 posts [100%]
WICHITA KS
11-23-2013
 « Re: (MINTY FRESH)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by MINTY FRESH »
Hello,

Well there I was sitting in the Disneyworld mono-rail going from one park to another and all of a sudden I received an email from the JDM shipper who I had previously been dealing with. He indicated to me that the other party who had bought the 2000 RACE BASE just before me had not paid for it as of yet. And because this, there was the opportunity for me to purchase it. As of today, the funds have been transferred and the car is waiting to come to Canada.

When I first tried to buy this car it was my full intent to bring it back to stock, but I think that is the wrong approach. Because I believe it was Honda's full intent to have these cars modified into full race cars, I am kind of leaning toward preserving the modifications on the car, except for that silly looking gauge/cup or whatever on top of the steering column.

Although I expect there to be problems, I think this will be a very cool car. Not only is it 1 of 200 RACE BASES made from 1998 - 2000, and it appears to have actually been raced in Japan, I think it has a very interesting Serial Number - 1203666. As such, ITR385 will have a friend with the rather biblical title of CTR666.

Along with keeping it in its present configuration, I really want to see how it compares to a stock ITR. Reading through the British websites, there is a strong debate on which is better, many appear to be believe the EK9 is superior to the DC2. And considering that CTR666 appears to be set up for racing, I wonder if ITR385 is going to be rather plan in comparison to it. The stock RACE BASE has been reported to have a 0 - 60 mph of 5.7s!

Any thoughts are welcome.

Andrew

I am curious to see what all is done to the car since the pics expired on the link you had before. If the engine is a 1.8 liter it should be much quicker than the 1.6 it came with. Lack of torque is what kills these cars since they originally were made for the one make races in Japan requiring the 1.6 liter. Just FYI though and not to stir anything up but 5.7 seconds isn't really that impressive as you're basically looking at a mid to low 14 second 1/4 mile (realistically). A 2017 Ford Explorer has a 5.8 0-60 time with a 14.4 @ 98mph trap speed or compared to a modern FWD car a 2016 Accord has similar times. Both my ITR and J-swap Civic ran 14.5 and 11.8 respectively. As far as the handling is concerned, hatches have always been a bit more agile due to weight and shorter wheelbase compared to the Integra. Ultimately it really comes down to overall setup like hp, tires, spring rates, gearing, camber, caster, toe...etc. Debating over which is best is just mere conjecture and ultimately someone can make any car fast with the right amount of $$$ and knowledge. On a happy note though the GarageWork EK4 is the fastest NA FF car at Tsukuba for the moment. Base model built into a TA car and weighs in at 1600lbs....lol. ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3nIlxtBvvc

IMO though $7,200 is a pretty good price actually assuming everything is in working order and you could track it right away. It would be tough to start from scratch with a base model Civic and not spend over that amount. Hell the b16b or B18c complete swap is like $4,000 already at HMO. My ITR cost about $7,500 to build after everything was done, but it really needs a cage badly. Just to think though that you could now buy almost 3-4 of the CTR's you just bought for the price of one mint US ITR. Yeah I think 7200 is not bad at all.

92 GSR Civic - Daily
97 ITR - Track Car/Weekend car
93 J32 Civic SI - Time Attack!

The USDM ITR fanboy - Despises all modifications to the car even if it's far better looking and/or outperforms OEM quality.
-Will go on about re-sale value even though no one else cares.
-Brags about how it's the greatest FF car ever made while never driving or tracking said car.
-Lives in denial that any 90s Honda can be built just as fast, if not way faster, for less money.
-Does not understand that it's the concept/idea of the ITR that's cool which can be easily applied to any Honda/Acura chassis if you put in the work.
http://www.tracktuned.com/feed...ype-r

dave7

274 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

I think the point was that the 5.7 0-60 is impressive compared to the regular CTR times, which was in the 6 second range I believe. There's not much point comparing these cars to new ones, we don't buy them for the acceleration. So considering the 0-60 of a Ford Explorer is beyond irrelevant.
#01-1322

Sort of Fast
Helmet. Gloves. Attack.

68 posts [100%]
WICHITA KS
11-23-2013

Quote, originally posted by dave7 »
I think the point was that the 5.7 0-60 is impressive compared to the regular CTR times, which was in the 6 second range I believe. There's not much point comparing these cars to new ones, we don't buy them for the acceleration. So considering the 0-60 of a Ford Explorer is beyond irrelevant.

That's why I was wondering what the specs were if it had kept the old 1.6 liter engine or if it was bored to a 1.8. Lack of info I guess. There was no mention of comparison to the all stock CTR. They were merely comparisons to show that 5.7 seconds is not really impressive by today's standards. It's also no surprise if a gutted Civic with 180hp runs 14's. That's all people do in my area is drag race, so I've seen waaaaaaay too many Honda's here. Once again didn't mean to stir anything up. I'm sure it'll be a fun car regardless.

---And I do have 2 B series cars that I track/daily, so yes I'm very much aware these are not drag cars....lol. People try and drag race me all the time here and it's really annoying.

Modified by Sort of Fast at 12:01 PM 1/3/2017

92 GSR Civic - Daily
97 ITR - Track Car/Weekend car
93 J32 Civic SI - Time Attack!

The USDM ITR fanboy - Despises all modifications to the car even if it's far better looking and/or outperforms OEM quality.
-Will go on about re-sale value even though no one else cares.
-Brags about how it's the greatest FF car ever made while never driving or tracking said car.
-Lives in denial that any 90s Honda can be built just as fast, if not way faster, for less money.
-Does not understand that it's the concept/idea of the ITR that's cool which can be easily applied to any Honda/Acura chassis if you put in the work.
http://www.tracktuned.com/feed...ype-r

MINTY FRESH

87 posts [100%]
10-2-2009
 « Re: (Sort of Fast)« » Reply  Edit

Hello,

The purchase price was 5300 America. It will cost another 4K American to ship it to Vancouver and then to Edmonton ( I am not driving it from Vancouver to Edmonton in the dead of a prairie winter).

As for performance, I am more interested in this particular car as being a wonderful snapshot of Honda's abilities and determination during their golden age. In many ways its purpose/ethos seems very similar to the Porsche RS and RSRs of the 70s.

I hope it arrives in one piece.

Andrew

dave7

274 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

This EK9 video is pretty good FYI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ6WKt4wJBc

#01-1322

MINTY FRESH

87 posts [100%]
10-2-2009

Hello Dave7,

Thank you for the link.

Four (4) tires side by side in the hatch area! Me thinks that this was done on purpose.

Got to love how focused Honda used to be!

Andrew

First  < 1 2   Last

» Return to General Discussion