logo

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help Quick Reply
 Install LSD on my GSR or get an ITR trans?
Author Post

dave7

248 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
  Install LSD on my GSR or get an ITR trans?« » Reply  Edit

Hope this is on topic, mods feel free to move if necessary.

I'm debating whether to install LSD on my 2001 GSR or get an ITR trans. If I just go with LSD, I'd look to get an Honda Oem ITR one. New they run about $1000. MFactory would be about $600 by comparison.

But I really like to keep things Oem.

I could also get an ITR trans, which would have the shorter gears as well as LSD, and would just bolt right on, as far as I know. I'm assuming I could get a used one for like $1500ish. That sounds like a better use of money, and I could just store the gsr trans in case I ever sold the car.

My plan for the GSR is 5 lug swap as well, and maybe jrsc if one comes up for sale. It's my daily driver.

Edit: Hmotors even has this brand new b18C5 trans for $2200: http://www.hmotorsonline.com/m...ssion

#01-1322

Sort of Fast
Helmet. Gloves. Attack.

61 posts [100%]
WICHITA KS
11-23-2013
 « Re: Install LSD on my GSR or get an ITR trans? (dave7)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by dave7 »
Hope this is on topic, mods feel free to move if necessary.

I'm debating whether to install LSD on my 2001 GSR or get an ITR trans. If I just go with LSD, I'd look to get an Honda Oem ITR one. New they run about $1000. MFactory would be about $600 by comparison.

But I really like to keep things Oem.

I could also get an ITR trans, which would have the shorter gears as well as LSD, and would just bolt right on, as far as I know. I'm assuming I could get a used one for like $1500ish. That sounds like a better use of money, and I could just store the gsr trans in case I ever sold the car.

My plan for the GSR is 5 lug swap as well, and maybe jrsc if one comes up for sale. It's my daily driver.

Edit: Hmotors even has this brand new b18C5 trans for $2200: http://www.hmotorsonline.com/m...ssion

Went through this same process on my GSR Civic. I sold my GSR trans to put towards an ITR one so I only spent about $600. An ITR trans generally is the best route just due to having dual syncros and the LSD. Gearing will be the same as a B16 if you get the 4.4 final drive version and the 4.7 final drive version will have a shorter 1-3rd, but it has GSR 4-5 gears to balance it out for highway use. You can't really go wrong with either though. The 4.4 is cheaper. Hmotors is one of the best places to get the transmission too. I wouldn't bother with the B18c5 one as it's the same 4.4 that was mass produced everywhere and came in both ITR and the CTR. These transmissions last a long time so buying new isn't really necessary.

92 GSR Civic - Daily
97 ITR - Track Car/Weekend car
93 J32 Civic SI - Time Attack! @guess_work_racing

The "All Stock" USDM ITR fanboy - Despises all modifications to the car even if it's far better looking and/or outperforms OEM quality.
-Will go on about re-sale value even though no one else cares.
-Brags about how it's the greatest FF car ever made while never driving or tracking said car.
-Lives in denial that any 90s Honda can be built just as fast, if not way faster, for less money.
-Does not understand that it's the concept/idea of the ITR that's cool which can be easily applied to any Honda/Acura chassis if you put in the work.
#HypeR #YaCantHideMoney

dave7

248 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

Thanks man. Yea good points. Seems like a good price on the new trans, that just sounds tempting to me to have a new one, would shift like butter. I'll look around for a good used ITR trans too. It wouldn't matter to much whether it's 4.4 or 4.7.
#01-1322

kevinthefawker

66 posts [100%]
9-26-2010
 « « » Reply  Edit

the ctr tranny is also close to the us itR specs

dave7

248 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « Re: (kevinthefawker)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by kevinthefawker »
the ctr tranny is also close to the us itR specs

Thanks man. Didn't think of doing a ctr, I'll keep my eye open.

#01-1322

dangydang

3 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
10-8-2013
 « Re: (dave7)« » Reply  Edit

Please keep this thread updated once you get the LSD/ITR trans in there. I've also been entertaining this same idea for my GSR. Thanks in advance!

dave7

248 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

Sure thing. I ended up buying the new ITR trans from Hmotors. It's beautiful and shiny, will probably get it installed in about a month. I don't have the expertise to do it myself.
#01-1322

dangydang

3 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
10-8-2013

Sure thing. I ended up buying the new ITR trans from Hmotors. It's beautiful and shiny, will probably get it installed in about a month. I don't have the expertise to do it myself.

Sounds good! If you don't have a shop in mind already, I'd recommend Ballade Sports down in Garden Grove. They primarily focus on S2Ks, but I take my GSR there all the time for both big and small jobs. Top notch guys there.

redGSRguy

217 posts [100%]
10-31-2008

Good choice. I'm always hesitant when someone says "shifts good, never mishifted".

http://www.lawrencebuilt.com

dave7

248 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
3-24-2016
 « Re: (dangydang)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by dangydang »

Sounds good! If you don't have a shop in mind already, I'd recommend Ballade Sports down in Garden Grove. They primarily focus on S2Ks, but I take my GSR there all the time for both big and small jobs. Top notch guys there.

Thanks for the recommendation. Ralph at Loi Spec has worked on my gsr and type r several times, so I'm going to take it to him.

Quote, originally posted by redGSRguy »

Good choice. I'm always hesitant when someone says "shifts good, never mishifted".

Exactly. The new trans wasn't too much more than a used one anyway. Used ones sell for 1350-1500 as far as I know. So might as well go with new if you can. Plus, it will just help extend the life of my gsr with a new trans. The gsr trans will get to rest in the garage.

#01-1322

dangydang

3 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA
10-8-2013

Thanks for the recommendation. Ralph at Loi Spec has worked on my gsr and type r several times, so I'm going to take it to him.

No problem. Always wondered about Loi Spec since I see their cars on Instagram all the time. I wasn't sure if it was just a crew of friends or if they had a shop and also worked on other's cars. Good to know of another option around here.

» Return to General Discussion