Suspension refresh for #1295First  < 1 2   Last
Author Post

Dystopia

44 posts [100%]
Salem New Jersey
3-19-2015
 « Re: (RTW DC2R)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R »
Nice work! One we are settled in the new home in south jersey Ill be swinging by for some bushing help lol

Dude! Where did you guys purchase?? Congrats!

I'd be happy to help. Should have the process down pat after I get the passenger side done.

01 - ITR #1295 PY - Stock 98K
01 - Integra GS-R - Stock 94K
05 Saabaru Aero 9-2X - The DD
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known". -- Carl Sagan

Dystopia

44 posts [100%]
Salem New Jersey
3-19-2015
 « Re: (coolhandluke)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by coolhandluke »

You can try and aftermarket replacement. Honda does not sell a replacement front UCA balljoint, just the complete UCA.

Excellent work! I love the lathe action.

Gotcha! Guessing MOOG is a quality replacement? Looks like they have an upper ball joint that gives you +/- 1 degree of camber adjustment. Not sure if this is worth spending the coin on and using with the freshened up original UCA.

Also might just take the plunge on some OTS Koni yellows for now. The passenger side damper looks to be leaky upon closer inspection.

*EDIT* -- Now leaning towards the Bilstein after some lunch break research. Realistically, I just don't have the time or budget to make this much of a track rat. I figure freshening things up with (hopefully) a marginal improvement to OEM will meet my needs.

Modified by Dystopia at 4:45 AM 1/9/2017

Dystopia

44 posts [100%]
Salem New Jersey
3-19-2015
 « « » Reply  Edit

Now I understand why most people just purchase the whole upper control arms. Tried to press in the new upper ball joint and warped the UCA pretty easily. Learning as I go!

Any recommendations for an aftermarket set? I don't really need camber adjustment at this point. I know OEM replacements are too expensive either.

Modified by Dystopia at 9:58 AM 1/12/2017

Sort of Fast
Helmet. Gloves. Attack.

60 posts [100%]
WICHITA KS
11-23-2013
 « Re: (Dystopia)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Dystopia »
Sooooo.... Now I understand why most people just purchase the whole upper control arms. Tried to press in the new upper ball joint and warped the UCA pretty easily. Learning as I go!

Any recommendations for an aftermarket set? I don't really need camber adjustment at this point. I know OEM replacements are too expensive either.

Ebay is generally a best route if you're buying OEM replacement. If you go aftermarket, hardrace or skunk2 is fine as they seem to hold up very well in track use. Benefit of the camber kit is the ball joint is replaceable by 4 bolts and not pressed in. Also, you might look into SPC rear toe adjust arms if you're doing everything. It makes alignments much easier.

92 GSR Civic - Daily
97 ITR - Track Car/Weekend car
93 J32 Civic SI - Time Attack! @guess_work_racing

The "All Stock" USDM ITR fanboy - Despises all modifications to the car even if it's far better looking and/or outperforms OEM quality.
-Will go on about re-sale value even though no one else cares.
-Brags about how it's the greatest FF car ever made while never driving or tracking said car.
-Lives in denial that any 90s Honda can be built just as fast, if not way faster, for less money.
-Does not understand that it's the concept/idea of the ITR that's cool which can be easily applied to any Honda/Acura chassis if you put in the work.
#HypeR #YaCantHideMoney

Dystopia

44 posts [100%]
Salem New Jersey
3-19-2015
 « Re: (Sort of Fast)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Sort of Fast »

Ebay is generally a best route if you're buying OEM replacement. If you go aftermarket, hardrace or skunk2 is fine as they seem to hold up very well in track use. Benefit of the camber kit is the ball joint is replaceable by 4 bolts and not pressed in. Also, you might look into SPC rear toe adjust arms if you're doing everything. It makes alignments much easier.

Honestly didn't even think about the bolt in ball joint replacements. Found a few options that don't include the bushings - which I already have ready to go.

Decisions, decisions....

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2202 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002

I went with beefy over stylishness or light weight. Tru Hart front UCA have served me well this past year. They come with HR 4 bolt ball joints. The arms are basically the same as the HR arms and Megan arms. They do not have as much travel as stock arms because they are beefy. I had my car a little too low and soft and banged them pretty good initially but after I raised the car up a little and adjusted dampers/pre load they dont seem to hit anymore. No slippage or damage so far and Ive been off track more than once lol. Check my build thread for pics and such. I have the rear UCA as well which are steel and not aluminum so no worry about aluminum failing. I think they are the same ss the SPC but cheaper.
98-0034 - Track Daze y0
00-XXXX - The OG NOPI Fish Tank Type R - SOLD

My For Sale thread ITR and Misc Parts For Sale

Dystopia

44 posts [100%]
Salem New Jersey
3-19-2015
 « Re: (RTW DC2R)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R »
I went with beefy over stylishness or light weight. Tru Hart front UCA have served me well this past year. They come with HR 4 bolt ball joints. The arms are basically the same as the HR arms and Megan arms. They do not have as much travel as stock arms because they are beefy. I had my car a little too low and soft and banged them pretty good initially but after I raised the car up a little and adjusted dampers/pre load they dont seem to hit anymore. No slippage or damage so far and Ive been off track more than once lol. Check my build thread for pics and such. I have the rear UCA as well which are steel and not aluminum so no worry about aluminum failing. I think they are the same ss the SPC but cheaper.

Good feedback. Truhart was one of the options i found since you can get them without the bushings - Just use the HR bushings and hardware I have etc.

coolhandluke
Break on...

13068 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005

Quote, originally posted by Dystopia »

Gotcha! Guessing MOOG is a quality replacement? Looks like they have an upper ball joint that gives you +/- 1 degree of camber adjustment. Not sure if this is worth spending the coin on and using with the freshened up original UCA...

Mugen bits are generally over priced for what you get. I would opt for OEM over Mugen given your scenario. The good and bad is OEM will include everything: new arm, new balljoint, new bushings all around, the bad is the high price.

98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

ITR Expo 16 Event Photo Thread

Dystopia

44 posts [100%]
Salem New Jersey
3-19-2015
 « « » Reply  Edit

UGGGHH! Frustrating and strange day working on the caR. Had to bug a few of you with texts today to confirm that either I am an idiot or just unlucky. Didn't come to any conclusions yet.

First -- Ordered a Buddy Club P1 camber kit and the bushing mount locations opposite of the ball joint didn't quite line up with the factory location. Pics below for reference. If you look close - you can see that the width is off less than an inch between the OEM and BC UCA. When I mount the bracket/brace between the bushings - it forces the bushing housing and bolt off center.

Both UCA's stamped "L"

Right side lined up - left side not so much

Close up of left side

Bushings bolted in but as you can see - forcing the bracket down on the housing bolts flexes the bushings and bolts off center

Anyone ever run into this problem??

coolhandluke
Break on...

13068 posts [100%]
HI
12-12-2005

Yikes! That looks very odd to me...
98-1040
98-0197 - Sold
01-0187 - Sold
97' #171

ITR Expo 16 Event Photo Thread

Dystopia

44 posts [100%]
Salem New Jersey
3-19-2015
 « Re: (coolhandluke)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by coolhandluke »
Yikes! That looks very odd to me...

I thought so too.... thinking it might be an EK or CRX kit. Either way -- Sent them back and ordered a Truhart kit as recommended by Ryan. Maybe this weekend I can actually get some stuff accomplished.

Dystopia

44 posts [100%]
Salem New Jersey
3-19-2015
 « « » Reply  Edit

Quick update --- Good news and bad news.

Bad news first:

The old wheel bearing race was stuck on the hub/spindle and it was a royal PITA getting it off. Unfortunately, the spindle got scored to hell. I really have no clue what happened but it seems like some foreign material got in between the race and spindle or maybe it was pressed on too hard? I literally had to heat it with a torch and use a big pipe wrench to spin it off. Not sure if this can be machined down and cleaned up or would this mess up the tolerances between the spindle and bearing too much. A new one is on the way so I won't be able to button up the drivers side until next week (Thanks Chase!). I also have to make a final decision on which dampers to go with and get em ordered.

Good news is that I returned the BC camber kit and ordered a Truhart kit that lined up perfectly.

Did a rough re-installation of the UCA and LCA along with installing the compliance bushing and outer tie rod end.

Should have the sway bar bushings and end links to install over the weekend. The plan now is to finish as much as I can on the drivers side and start ripping apart the passenger side. Hopefully I don't run into any issues with the passenger side hub!

Modified by Dystopia at 2:05 PM 1/19/2017

RTW DC2R
Bump drafting j00

2202 posts [100%]
NYC
10-20-2002
 « « » Reply  Edit

Are you redoing bearings too? Is that why you are messing with the hubs?

Which compliance did you go with? All OEM stuff or HR?

Glad youre making some progress.

98-0034 - Track Daze y0
00-XXXX - The OG NOPI Fish Tank Type R - SOLD

My For Sale thread ITR and Misc Parts For Sale

First  < 1 2   Last

» Return to General Discussion